Sunday, August 28, 2011

The journey of a hundred miles starts with...an apple?

I read the Weight Watcher points plus start up booklet. I told myself, "Self, try it for a day. 24 hours of your life you can devote to this and see how it feels." I'm sure you're thinking, 24 hours! What kind of commitment is that? Well for me a big one. With most diets I didn't not make it past the 3 hour mark. Why?

Here was my line of thinking... If I die with the next few minutes, would I want my last meal to be something tasteless and nasty? (Yes, true story.)

The first 24 hours began with a trip to the grocery store. I bought a few meals and a bag of apples.

My first ever meal to begin the mission to a new me was an apple. Have you ever really sat and ate an apple and only focused on the apple. The noise it makes when you bite into the crispy apple. The juice that shoots all over the apple and your hand. The sweetly tart taste. The texture as it rolls around in your mouth as you chew? (FYI: this is not an erotic story you pervs) As i took my time to eat this Granny Smith apple i realized this was the best sweet treat ever. It really did beat candy. Yes I was shocked too.

I had three small frozen meals that day and two apples for snack. Don't knock the frozen meals, it is a great way to learn portion control if you aren't into measuring every bite of food that goes into your mouth.

The day ended just as it began: with me on this new diet. I was not hungry, I did not go over my point limit and I knew I could live with this plan. I also made a new best friend...the apple. Thank you ever so much Ms. Eve for taking that first bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment